Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Skid Row Redevelopment Update


Read about it in the Daily News

Since you'll be curious, here is an inexhaustive list of the stores in the Wolf Creek Market:

World Market
-
like Pier one if they didn't take themselves so seriously and stocked Marmite and imported beer. This would even draw from East Memphis

Best Buy
-it might be a good idea for MPD to relocate their theft investigation division to the front door of this store if Midtown got one, but I'd still be excited

Sports Authority
-I've maintained throughout the Bass Pro...looking for a word...is debacle premature?...that Midtown and Downtown need a good sporting goods place to take advantage of the best outdoor activities in the city. This would be another good fit.

Haverty's
-feh

Petsmart
-Lots of pets in Midtown/Downtown

Linens N' Things
-nothing wrong with pillows

Office Depot
-big box retail that already exists in Midtown!

Target
-enough pixels have been spilled on this one, but let's just say we the proximity is probably going to negate our gas savings

Knowledge Tree
-Ms. vi loved this place when she was a teacher, so we'd have to be on guard for impulse buys, though I love the seasonal bulletin boards she puts up in the house.

Factory Card Outlet
-I for one, am tired of paying Hallmark prices.

Cato
-I think they sell clothes, but this makes me think of Inspector Closseau, so that's a good thing.

The Melting Pot
-I'm so tired of having to drive 20 miles to get Swiss.

Chick Fil-A
-Midtown will probably need two. The pickle juice marinade is laced with cocaina. I sort of hope they put this one in the Buddhist Temple foursquare.

That is some serious deliciousness right there, better even than the 201 Poplar snack bar biscuit (doubt me if you must, but set aside an extra 10 minutes on your next traffic ticket and see if I'm wrong). I've never been to Bryant's, so I won't make the claim that the Chick Fil-A chicken biscuit is the best in town.

Anyway, I'm excited to see some discussion of this development. WSG's website is pretty slim on details of their other projects. I checked out the Canyon Ranch project mentioned in the article. Looks nice, but am I alone in wondering if the condo market for wealthy singles and retirees is a little tapped in Memphis?

Does anyone know of condo developments nationwide that actively court families with children, mixed in with the aforementioned right sizers and downsizers?I'd love to move the family to a pedestrian oriented development, but two bedrooms at $250,000 isn't going to cut it. Is a 3-4 bedroom condo priced around $200,000 outside of the realm of possibility? It seems like by courting two demographics only, the Downtown condo market has created a built-in gap.

Uptown is making a serious go at accessible New Urbanism, but they still have a long climb. Perhaps I should stay away from the Uptown Yak board, but it seems they are still experiencing a good deal of growing pains. That said, it seems doubtful that New Urbanism will ever be that successful if Mixed-Use Development = Expensive and Room for One Child.

At any rate, I'm excited that the WSG development may actually make functional use of the Madison trolley line. This is a natural fit for Medical Center students/employees headed to work/school, as well as Downtown residents headed to shop. If there are any children in the 300,000 square feet (which is only 200 units at 1500 square feet) of residential, then they could take the trolley to the Downtown Elementary School. If this all comes to pass, do you credit MATA with prescience or dumb luck?

10 comments:

Ochlophobist said...

I love the taste of Chick Fil-A, but after each eating I feel slightly ill (headache, etc.). I don't know if they pour on the msg or some other badity, but there is something not quite right with their product, I am convinced. Fried chicken is normally a balming culinary experience for me.

Listening to you talk about Gus' last night has only added to my dream: if the housing and building markets continue to fall and I have to go look for some other work, I would like to have my own downtown street cart vending company which sells either chicken biscuits which are made of whole wheat organic biscuits and organic hormone free chicken all from local suppliers, or, bbq catfish tacos, with ingredients all from local suppliers.

Owen's BBQ Catfish Tacos. I like the sound of that. On a corn tortilla with crushed hush puppies in place of refried beans, or Arkansas rice if one prefers.....

jccvi said...

Interestingly, I've read recently that there is nothing particularly harmful about MSG, unless you are among those who have a sensitivity to it. I put enough Cavender's Greek Seasoning on my ramen noodles in college to be confident that I am not among those unlucky few. Umami away!

BBQ Catfish Tacos! Seriously, let's work on this. A brief search for smoked catfish brought this up: http://tinyurl.com/4hxfw4

That looks like some good.

Corn tortillas, smoked catfish with a drizzle of barbecue sauce, a vinegary slaw (nuclear yellow like the rendevous's), and a little crushed hush. This is the next barbecue nachos!

Ochlophobist said...

You're right. When Joy lived in China they had MSG on the table at every restaurant.

I like the vinegar slaw direction. And the smoked catfish site is promising. Did you notice that they are thinking of selling their fish farm? http://www.pickwickcatfishfarm.com/buy_the_farm.htm#dreamed
I can only imagine what 80 acres that close to Pickwick costs these days.

Stacey Greenberg said...

that list of stores does not excite me. half of them seem irrelevant with a target nearby.

i so was hoping for an ikea.

:(

jccvi said...

Stacey-

I agree that none of them are too exciting other than Target and World Market (love me some Chocolate Digestive Biscuits). Still, the stores would fit a need, and hopefully there will be bays for more interesting and local retailers, who would profit by the association.

I'm holding out hope for an Ikea at the Sears Crosstown. I'm not sure their massive footprint will even fit on this site. The Sears site, on the other hand, used to be the largest building in the state (it may still be for all I know).

Naomi Van Tol said...

Yesterday I tried to leave this comment (twice!) and it would not appear. But it's so vitally important that I saved it to try again...

Forget Ikea, I want an Archie McPhee OR BUST!

Seriously... I am loving the idea of a midtown Target on a somewhat indecent level, but who the hell picked the dumbass name "Wolf Creek Market"?

There is no Wolf Creek. This isn't even in the Wolf River watershed; it drains into Gayoso Bayou. My sense of place is deeply offended. DEEPLY, I tell you.

Why not call it Madison Heights Market, after the original subdivision?

Or how about Joy Street Market? Who wouldn't want to shop there?

Especially if we could get us some BBQ catfish tacos from that cart in the parking lot.

jccvi said...

Wolf Creek is a shopping center across from Wolfchase. The Daily News article said that stores from that development would likely be in the Madison Heights (it's catchy) development. I sort of think it's a smokescreen to say that they're working really hard on getting a Target, but can't come right out and say that yet (there's a Target at Wolf Creek). If all we get is a Factory Card Outlet, then they can't say they lied.

I'm all about an Archie McPhee as long as that handlebar mustache guy stays away from my children.

Naomi Van Tol said...

Ah, it's all clear now. I wrongly assumed you were summarizing the Daily News article for lazy people like me. You mean I actually have to click on those linky bits? GOD.

But I'm still compelled by my sense of place to note that there never was a Wolf Creek out there in the mall-infested hinterlands, either! It's a sickness, really.

I just hope Tom Marsh makes the right choices for midtown. Which includes, obviously -- Archie McPhee's, Target, Ikea, and Trader Joe's as the big anchors. Then a massive assortment of fresh flower stalls, coffee/ice cream/slushee stands, and hip little shops selling BBQ tacos stuffed with a tasty variety of meats and meat-like substances.

Surely this is a concept we can all get behind? Or at least snuggle up next to?


jccvi, obviously you are unaware of the latest No Lip Left Behind Act mandate: Every child must sport a 16-inch handlebar mustache in order to pass the TCAP. Get with the program!

jccvi said...

I used to have in my head a children's story about a boy who lived in a series of subdivision developments, each further east with names more and more evocative of nonexistent natural features. He starts out in say, "Linden Meadow Trace" then his parents move to "Hickory Valley Estates" five miles east after the best buy moves 3 blocks. Eventually they are killed in a home invasion (or maybe the one bradford pear in the neighborhood comes through the drywall in the ginormous master bathroom during a tornado and impales them in the planter tub)four counties over and he ends up with an eccentric aunt and uncle on Kenilworth. Of course he finds out later that they are his real parents, but only after they teach him to stop playing video games and start exploring the forest.

That said, I share your aversion to disappearing and misplaced place names. Greenlaw is so much more evocative than Uptown.

Naomi Van Tol said...

It's a tragedy that the "cautionary tale" genre of children's stories has been allowed to die out.

P is for Patrick, impaled by a pear-tree.